What is Trooping the Colour?
‘Trooping the Colour is a ceremony performed by regiments of the British and Commonwealth armies. It has been a tradition of British infantry regiments since the 17th century, although the roots go back much earlier. On battlefields, a regiment’s colours, or flags, were used as rallying points.’ – Official definition. Trooping the Colour began many years ago, the 17th century to be precise, under the reign of Charles II. This event is now held to celebrate The Queen’s birthday every year in June, and is performed by her personal guards. The queen, since 1987, arrives in a horse & carriage, but for the 36 years before that, she would horse ride graciously in the colour that was being trooped.
Over 1000 officers and men parade, together with two hundred horses, over two hundred musicians from six bands and corps of drums march and play together. 113 words of command are spoke by the Officer in Command of the Parade. The parade route starts at Buckingham Palace, then travels along The Mall to Horse Guards Parade, then enters Whitehall and back again.
As soon as the clock on the Horse Guards Building strikes eleven, the Royal Procession arrives, giving The Queen the Royal Salute. The parade begins with an Inspection, then The Queen will start driving slowly down the ranks of all six Guards, and finally past the Household Cavalry. Following this is a 41-gun salute by the King’s Troop in Green Park. After the event, the Royal Family gathers on the balcony of Buckingham Palace to watch an RAF display. A truly memorable event.
Dates for 2016
- Wed 1st – Thu 2nd: The Rifles Sounding Retreat on Horse Guards Parade
- Thu 2nd Coronation Day: 41 Gun Salute by the KTRHA in Hyde Park, Park Lane at noon and by the HAC (62 guns) at Gun Wharf, Tower of London at 13:00
- Sat 4th: The Colonel’s Review of Trooping the Colour
- Wed 8th – Thu 9th: Household Division Beating Retreat on Horse Guards Parade at 8.30pm
- Fri 10th: National Thanksgiving Service for the 90th Birthday of Her Majesty the Queen at St Paul’s Cathedral at 11:00 AM
- Sat 11th: The Queen’s Birthday Parade, Trooping the Colour – 41 Gun Salute by the KTRHA in Green Park at 12.52 PM and by the HAC (62 guns) at Gun Wharf, Tower of London at 13:00
- Sun 12th: The Patron’s Lunch – The Mall in St James’s Park will be transformed for its largest ever street party to celebrate The Queen’s patronage of over 600 charities and organisations on the occasion of her 90th birthday
Above is the dates for the events, and some links for tickets and further information.
Getting There & Getting Home
If you are wondering how you will be getting to the event, and how much it will cost from wherever you live, think three words, Licensed London Taxi. Here at Licensed London Taxi, our Mercedes Vito Taxis are fully accessible for wheelchairs, and still have room for people to join. You always know what you’re going to pay with our flat fare, which can be obtained through the enquiry page on the site. If you have any other questions on the events, or the journey, don’t hesitate to give us a call, and we will help in every way possible!
Troop the Colour in 2016.